If they assign topics then half the problem is done but if they do not assign topics then you should be well prepared to find a suitable topic to write on! Well here are a few ways to get the best term paper ideas you could ever wish for.
1. Archived papers- take a look at the papers which have been archived in the libraries of your school or college. You can get an idea of the writing style your professors want and what topics have already been covered. If you do like the writing style and topic then do take a look at the index and bibliography of the written paper. You will get a list of related topics which you can use for inspiration and to search out for a topic of your own.
2. Always ask your teacher to give you a list of the topics which have already been covered to prevent repeating yourself endlessly. Reading the same thing again and again is not interesting to professors and you could lose out on grades due to this.
3. Once you’ve got a tentative list of short listed topics, please do show that to your professor to allow his to sift out those which are already covered or too broad and too narrow.
4. Writing on controversial topics is really great for a beginner but unless your professor expressly asks for a controversial topic don’t attempt it. Brainstorm on several topics to find one which is the best for your needs. Then do show these topics to a few of your friends as they can tell you a few more interesting options which you can use to brainstorm even more.
5. Stick to the instruction sheet that your professor gives you. Remain inside the criteria that your professor has assigned to you or he is more than likely to reject any topics you shortlist and you will lose almost all of your hard work.
6. When you do select a topic make sure that you have sufficient research to back up your theory and thesis. Sometimes the newer ideas are very, very, secret and you might not get enough to back it up! As a result you might not be able to reach the word limit of the essay you have been requested for your paper. Don’t mess around with your word limits and your font size irrespective if you are feeling lazy as this can get you in trouble.
7. Do your research for your term paper well. You should be able to defend you paper well. Be well versed in almost all the pros and cons of your topic as this is the only way you can defend your topic well.
Make a list of all your research paper ideas as you should be able to keep them together and then keep them ready for your professor to sort through.